Monday, March 9, 2009

Building the boxes














View from the deck.
Boxes are 4 x 4 feet
Look how big they are!

My grass will look great in a few weeks, still winter grass :)
and when the trees fill in, this is gonna look great!


This weekend we shopped for all the supplies and then Sunday afternoon Doug built the boxes (While I mowed the lawn for the first time this year). So far we have the boxes with the hardware cloth stapled to the bottom to keep critters from stealing my carrots. Next we need to remove the grass, lay the weedcloth, place the boxes, add the border (so I won't need to weed-eat around each box hopefully, then fill the boxes with a special soil mix, then add the grid on top of the boxes..........then plant. We spent about $75 - $100/box, that includes everything, the seeds too. I think we'll get that back this year with all the vegetables I won't be buying. We shall see.

The garden is in the dog run that we don't use. The owners before had this dog run, I think it's a great place for a garden to keep the dogs out, plus it gets the best all day sunlight.

That's it for now. Will finish up next weekend.





1 comment:

  1. Doug and Jill, The frames are huge and look fantastic. I didn't know that you were going to have more than one box. I can't wait to see them filled with fresh veggies. I think the sore muscles will be worth it. You are both hard workers and I am soooooo proud of you.

    ReplyDelete